Fact vs Fiction

Financial Planning Tips

Have You Considered a Donor-Advised Fund?
(Updated: 3/14/2016)

For those who are charitably inclined, establishing a donor-advised fund (DAF) allows you to:

  1. Make a charitable contribution to the fund and receive an immediate tax deduction.
  2. Recommend donations to qualified charities at any time while still receiving the up-front tax deduction.
  3. Assign the fund a name of your choosing.
  4. Have your contributions to the fund managed by your financial advisor and grow tax-free.
  5. All of the above.

Answer: E.

Upon establishing a DAF, a donor makes an irrevocable charitable contribution to the fund and immediately receives the maximum tax deduction that the IRS allows. The donor can then recommend charitable grants from the fund at any time. The DAF bears whatever name the donor chooses, grows tax-free, and can be managed by the donor’s preferred financial advisor.

Test Your Tax Knowledge

(Updated: 08/10/2015)

What is the alternative minimum tax (AMT)?

A. The AMT prevents individuals from paying too little tax by limiting deductions and exemptions.
B. The AMT is an additional tax for individuals who surpass certain income thresholds.
C. The AMT is a minimum tax that applies to sales of real estate for personal use.
D. The AMT applies only to corporations to ensure that income generated within the United States is taxed at a minimum rate.


Answer: A. The AMT imposes a limit on the amount of tax benefits you can claim to reduce your regular tax burden. In other words, if exemptions and deductions reduce the total tax you owe below the AMT limit, you must pay the higher AMT amount. Exercising incentive stock options and claiming a large number of personal exemptions are two common factors that may trigger the AMT.

This material has been provided for general informational purposes only and does not constitute either tax or legal advice. Although we go to great lengths to make sure our information is accurate and useful, we recommend you consult a tax preparer, professional tax advisor, or lawyer.

View the Financial Tips Archive

Ready to start a conversation?

Share This